WordPress 4.6 "Pepper" is here !
On the 16th of August 2016, WordPress 4.6 was officially released to the public. This new release, which is named "Pepper" in honour of jazz baritone saxophonist Park Frederick “Pepper” Adams III, has landed on our dashboards with a variety of new features and functions, aiming to let you "focus on the important things while feeling more at home".
Updates And Features of WordPress 4.6
This new stable release brings the following improvements and additions:
- Streamlined updates - Stay on the same page while you update, install, and delete your plugins and themes.
- Native Fonts - The WordPress dashboard now takes advantage of the fonts you already have, making it load faster and letting you feel more at home on whatever device you use.
- Inline Link Checker - Ever accidentally made a link to https://wordpress.org/example.org? Now WordPress automatically checks to make sure you didn’t.
- Content Recovery - As you type, WordPress saves your content to the browser. Recovering saved content is even easier with WordPress 4.6.
Under the Hood Improvements
The following internal additions and improvements have made it to this new release:
- Resource Hints - Resource hints help browsers decide which resources to fetch and preprocess. WordPress 4.6 adds them automatically for your styles and scripts making your site even faster.
- Robust Requests - The HTTP API now leverages the Requests library, improving HTTP standard support and adding case-insensitive headers, parallel HTTP requests, and support for Internationalized Domain Names.
WP_Post_Type -A new
WP_Term_Queryclass adds flexibility to query term information while a new
WP_Post_Typeobject makes interacting with post types more predictable.
- Meta Registration API - The Meta Registration API has been expanded to support types, descriptions, and REST API visibility.
- Translations On Demand - WordPress will install and use the newest language packs for your plugins and themes as soon as they’re available from WordPress.org’s community of translators.
- Customizer APIs for Setting Validation and Notifications - Settings now have an API for enforcing validation constraints. Likewise, customizer controls now support notifications, which are used to display validation errors instead of failing silently.
- Multisite, now faster than ever - Cached and comprehensive site queries improve your network admin experience. The addition of
WP_Network_Queryhelp craft advanced queries with less effort.
For more details about the changes made with "Pepper", you can see the full post over on the official WordPress blog
On Updating Your Installations
Based on our WordPress core update policy, we normally start automatically updating our customer sites two weeks from the official launch date of the new release. To make sure everyone has enough time to ensure that everything is working as it should be, we've decided to make the upgrade to WordPress 4.6 on the 12th of September 2016.
Also, once we push our 4.6 release and make it available for new WordPress installations, any customer that is not willing to wait for our usual grace period to pass, will be able to update as soon as they wish to using the manual update process outlined in this support article.
If you have any further questions or queries, you're welcome to either open a support ticket or contact us.